Anxiety is a condition characterised by feelings of worry, apprehension or fear that are strong enough to interfere with one’s daily activities. Anxiety episodes can be extremely disturbing. Often intense, excessive and persistent worries or fears about particular situations disrupt one’s day-to-day life. Even imagining these disturbing thoughts triggers anxiety that reaches its peak within minutes and makes the person immobilized.
The common signs and symptoms of anxiety include –
- Mental cloudiness
- Increased heart beats and excessive sweating
- Checking sensation with unsteadiness and trembling
- Tense shoulders and tightness in body
- Feeling warm and nauseous
- Ringing in the ears
These all are related to the overactivity of sympathetic nervous system.
Anxiety disorders can be of different types –
- Generalized anxiety disorder
- Social anxiety disorder (social phobia)
- Specific phobias
- Separation anxiety disorder
A person can have more than one anxiety disorder. Identifying these episodes which are interfering with your work, relationships or other spheres of your life and seeking professional help is extremely important.
There is a very interesting mindfulness grounding tool for handling such attacks of anxiety. It is called the ‘5-4-3-2-1’ Technique. It utilizes the engagement of all five special senses as follows –
- The first step is to look around the room and name five things that you can see around you and notice the details of them.
- The second step is to focus on four things that you can feel.
- The third step is to name and notice three things that you can hear around you.
- The fourth step is to notice two things that you can smell around you.
- The fifth step is to focus on one thing that you can taste.
It is an extremely effective Mindfulness Technique to calm your mind.
It is at the 4th stage of this Technique that Aromatherapy can be incorporated effectively. Essential Oils, with the ability to induce calmness, grounding effect and relaxation, certainly offer an added benefit. Aromatize has designed 2 beautiful blends for this purpose.
They are –
- Calm Key: It is specifically designed to calm and ease tension. It has the ability to alleviate anxiety symptoms like over activity, palpitations and sweating.
- Deep Breath: This unique blend slows down over thinking and helps you regain the sense of control over yourself.
These blends are available in two forms –
- Bottle Blends:
Put 4-6 drops from the Bottle Blends into Diffuser water. Sit back and relax with this aroma for at least 10-15 min, focussing solely on the aroma. This is extremely helpful if done on a daily basis.
- Roll-On Blends:
Roll-On Blends are small and handy. They can be carried in a pouch, purse or pocket. They can be applied on the wrist or nape of the neck to inhale the aroma.